Saturday, October 4, 2008

Crying it out

I recently realized that I created a monster by feeding my baby every time she woke up during the night. How was I supposed to know that by eight months she would have it figured out and start waking up every hour to get a little snack? For some reason I just assumed that this was what I was supposed to be doing. That is, until my daughter's 6 month appointment when her pediatrician told me that she no longer needed that midnight feeding. She disagreed. It was too late. I tried to get her back to sleep by rocking and soothing her but it was useless, so I went the easy route and just gave her what she wanted: the boob. Not a smart move. But at 3 am a battle of wills between an exhausted and desperate for sleep me, and a determined, very loud infant seemed pointless... I would never win! It got so bad that there was a night or two that I found myself BEGGING her to sleep, I mean crying, making promises to God if only she would sleep, begging. That was when I decided that it just wasn't worth it and did the easiest thing possible.

I feel that I have suffered enough. Every 3-4 hours was manageable, but every hour and a half is NOT, it's torture. I know what I have to do, the scariest parenting thing I have had to face so far, let her cry it out. I have tried, I really have and so far have failed... miserably. I always go into it with a plan: 5 minutes then 10 then 15 and so on. I always give in. I know that eight months is probably a little late to really get serious, but I am. Because if I don't get serious now I'm afraid I'll be doomed to live life as a zombie, surviving only by ingesting massive amounts of caffeine on a daily basis and having to write myself reminder notes to put on a bra and shoes before leaving the house... seriously. It's now or never.

If anyone has any advice please let me know!

4 comments:

Aminta said...

Oh I am sooooo sorry! Trust me, it is awful to let them cry it out......but it is alot more awful for your mommy system to NOT let her!
Seriously, I had it good with my third. I made him sleep in his bed untill he was seven months. We went to a family members house and he couldn't be allowed to cry. We ended up getting sort of stuck there (car problems) for two weeks, and it un-did EVERYTHING I had worked so hard for. SOOOOO upsetting. But by the time I got home I was so exhausted it didn't seem worth it to let him cry. Thus the next year was AWFUL for me. Not to mention the hubby! So, after a long while of sleep deprivation I decided that when my hubby went of to work for a couple of weeks I would do it....let him cry it out.
If you don't........trust me....not worth it! I did NOT let my second cry it out, and he would get up in the middle of the night untill he was three and a half!!!!!!! SO DO IT! I encourage you. God will sustain you through it.
Bless you and HUGS!
Aminta

Tiffany said...

Oh girl.

I am so sorry. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture.

I'm not sure if you want any suggestions, but I feel like I have to try to help.

When I breastfed, I would "top him off" with a few ounces of formula at night. The formula sits longer in their stomach and they sleep longer.

Also, you mentioned below that you are using caffeine to stay up... some of this is getting passed on to her.. maybe its making her irritable?

Do you have someone that can stay with her overnight while you get some sleep? Get some earplugs and let someone else get up with her.
One night of good sleep will really help.

To be the mom you want to be, you've got to get some sleep. I know that the idea of giving her formula may not sound good, but right now, you need to get some sleep for your own well being and your baby's!

Please, take care of yourself!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Hi found you through SITS and your sister, Meaghan.

Oh girl, I went through the same thing with my oldest.
I'm not much help because I, too, always caved in. I would try to let her cry it out....it would break my heart.
Hope you find a solution!

AngiDe said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by! I would love to check out the site that your found that bracelet on. What is the address?

Angie
www.nanasboxnonprofit.blogspot.com