Saturday, November 8, 2008

A night in the hospital






So I have been M.I.A. for awhile but I'm back and have lots to blog about!
For starters last night was my first trip to the ER with my little munchkin. Poor thing woke up coughing and wheezing and unable to cry. The first thought that came to my mind was that she had stored away some food in her cheeks and was now choking. After attempting the baby Heimlich and determining that was not the issue I decided that she was having an allergic reaction and her throat was closing up, so my sister and I buckled her in her car seat and rushed to the hospital. They immediately brought her back and started asking me if she had a history of asthma, I told them no and started panicking at the possibility that she could be having an asthma attack. Luckily that was not the case, it was a bad case of croup.
Phew.
They did a nebulizer treatment, gave her a shot of steroids, did chest x-rays and monitored her for 2 hours. Holding her down while she screamed and stared straight in my eyes, obviously begging me to make them stop, was the worst feeling ever. It is so sad knowing your baby is so uncomfortable and unhappy and expects you to make it all better when you know you can't.
The great thing about babies is they forget so fast. Withing 30 minutes of getting the shot of steroids she was back to her old self blowing raspberries as loud as she possibly could at every nurse that walked by, and jumping up and down on my lap "yelling" at me in Anika language.
Today you would have no idea that she was in the ER the night before, she's such a resilient little baby she has had more energy than ever today!
Now I must go relax before she wakes up.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. That's so scary. Glad everything is okay.

Anonymous said...

She's soooo cute!!!

Rachel said...

oh my. what a thing for a mommy to have to go through! hope you are both feeling better!

btw, the header picture is breathtaking. what an angel.

jmt said...

I feel for you! I've been there, done that...except the results WERE asthma. :) I'm just happy that you got her there and got her some meds to relieve her. It IS so awful to see them struggling and you can't do a darn thing about it....keep the raspberries coming! :) (I'm stopping by via SITS...saw you on roll call)

Avery Tales said...

I know you were terrified. I'm so glad that it was nothing too serious. Hope you get some rest and she feels better very soon.

sweetmemorymakingmom said...

As a mother of two lil' girls, 2 & 3, I cannot imagine how terrified you were. Glad that it turned out to be a bad case of croup and nothing else. hugs,Ellen

p.s. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment!